Russell Hampton
National Awards Services Inc.
Bulletin Editor
Mary Jones
Dec 18, 2017
Hliday Program . . . . . Greeter: Michael Cooney
Dec 25, 2017
No Meeting
Jan 01, 2018
No Meeting
Jan 08, 2018
Greeter: Will Deppiesse
Jan 15, 2018
Greeter: Joe Ferlo
View entire list
Meeting Information for Monday, December 18, 2017
Michael Cooney will greet members and guests, give a reflection, and lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
We will have a special holiday program;  come and enjoy it.
Prayer and Pledge for December 4, 2017
Dick Campbell greeted members and guests and gave an inspiring reflection entitled, "Who Packed  your Parachute."
Dick Campbell (right) greets Bill Holicky
Deb Wirtz welcomed the day's guests:  Nicole Petersen (Southwest Rotary); Craig Burnett (Assistant District Governor); Shirley Malski (guest of Tom McDermott); and the 8th grade manufacturing tours essay contest winners.
Deb also shared that Monday was a National Humane Society Food Drive for needy animals, National Green Day, and National App Day.
Tom McDermott introduced  Shirley Malski  who joined the UW-O staff.
Christy Marquardt reported that the raffle kitty stands at $65; the drawing will be held next week as there will be no meetings on Christmas or New Year's Day.
RYE student Michel reported that he visited Chicago with the other District Rotary Exchange students.
News You Can Use; This Week's Announcements
OCM Cards -- Nikole Vergin still has OCM cards for members to pick up/sell. $10 each.
Salvation Army Bell Ringing -- Our Club's Salvation Army bell-ringing duty was Tuesday, December 12, 2017, with lots of participation from Club members.  Here are some highlight photos:
(L-R) Mark Beecher, Santa Claus (David Sennholz), RYE Student Michel, Sheriff John Matz, and his dog, Chumley.
Shift change at bell ringing at Shopko -- Front, Chumley and owner Sheriff John Matz; Back (l-r) - Mary Jones, Deb Wirtz, Ada Thimke, Tom Blaze, Mark Beecher, and RYE student Michel.
Election of Officers -- President John invited Lori Renning forward to introduce the slate of officers and directors selected by the nominating committee for 2018-2019 Club year. They are:  President - Christy Marquardt; Past President - John Fuller; President-elect - Michael Rust; Sergeant-at-Arms - Deb Wirtz; Treasurer - Jim Stahl; Secretary - David Sennholz.  Current Board members returning include:  Mark Beecher, Brad Hunter, Jack Klein, Marjorie Griffing, Nikole Vergin, and John Vette. New Board members joining include: Tom Blaze, Jolene Heuchert, and Ada Thimke.  Sue Panek made a motion to approve the nominations, and David Sennholz seconded the motion. Club members voted in favor of the slate of officers and directors, who will be inducted into office next summer.
District News -- President Fuller asked Cathy Zimmerman to provide the group with District 6260 news.  She was happy to report that current Assistant District Governor Craig Burnett has been named as a District Governor-elect to serve during the 2020-2021 term. His position as Assistant District Governor will be filled by Karen Schibline, who will service in that position for 3 years overseeing five clubs in the Oshkosh and Fond du Lac area.  Cathy noted that 
Craig will be the 9th District Governor from Oshkosh.  
Previous District Governors from the Oshkosh Rotary Club have included:  Jasper Lockhart 33-34; George Nevitt 52-53; Fred Caudle 65-66; Charles Nolan 72-73; John Wiley 94-95; John Kerrigan 99-2000; and Catherine Zimmerman 2003-04. Rounding out "the nine", are two from Southwest: William Wresch 09-10, and Craig Burnett 20-21.  (Thanks to Cathy Zimmerman and Craig Burnett for this information.)
Craig Burnett (left) and Karen Schibline will represent Oshkosh Clubs in District leadership roles.
Board of Directors Meeting -- President John reminded board members that there will be a Board meeting on Tuesday morning, December 19, at 8 a.m.
David Hayford's recovery -- Glenn Steinbrecher gave a brief update ... but see this week's Wellness in a Heartbeat article for a full report from the patient himself!
Happy $$ for December 4
Liz Rice-Janzen -- was happy to welcome a new granddaughter, Gracie, who was expected to be a boy. She was also happy to accept a new position in the Affinity Foundation offices recently.
Michael Cooney -- was happy again for another successful Oshkosh Farmer's Market at the Convention Center. He reminded members that the Market will be at the Center again this Saturday, Dec. 16, with a breakfast buffet served by the Best Western, and consisting of products obtained from the Market.
Program for Monday, December 4, 2017.
Monday's program consisted of presentations about the recent 8th grade class visits to local manufacturing plants.
Patti Andresen-Shew (Oshkosh Chamber) and Julie Conrad (OASD) introduced the students and manufacturing plant personnel who participated. Five middle schools participated and visited the following manufacturing companies:
Perry Tipler -- Arrowhead Manufacturing
Merrill Middle School -- Muza Metals and AP Nonweiler (two classes)
South Park -- Jay Manufacturing
Carl Traeger -- Muza Metals
Webster Stanley -- Lapham-Hickey Steel.
Julie Conrad talked about the Oshkosh Area School District's program to make students college, career, and community ready upon graduation from high school, which includes programs in academics, financial processes, life and career schools, and career and life exploration.   She said the School District's goal is to provide and keep students/workers in the Northeast Wisconsin area.  
Patti Andresen-Shew (left) and Julie Conrad.
She then then introduced the essay contest winners:
Carl Traeger School -- Ryan Gohde
Merrill Middle School -- M. Lor
Perry Tipler -- Paige Halfrach
South Park -- Ethan Ruedinger
Webster-Stanley -- Chase Pecore
The essay contest winners, parents, teachers, principals, and manufacturing company representatives.
President John asked Ralph Gunderson to lead the Club in the Four-Way Test to close the meeting.
Wellness in a Heartbeat 

Fellow Club member John Fuller has offered to share some health news/information with us from time to time. This week Club member David Hayford provides us with a detailed report about his recent open-heart surgery and recovery:


I had my heart repaired on November 13, 2017. Open-heart bypass surgery. The official description is: “Cardiac bypass surgery (CABG) mitral valve repair and maze procedure to reduce A-Fib episodes.”
I feel a need to relate my story.
It started in March, 2016, after the first of four eye surgeries I underwent that year -- cataract surgery on my left eye. As I was being wheeled to the recovery area, the anesthesiologist informed my wife, Paula, that I had experienced Atrial Fibrillation (irregular heartbeat, “A-Fib”) during the procedure. Not sure when it started. The last surgery, and anesthesiology, prior to that was in 2005.
That news prompted a trip to the cardiologist, and a prescription for Eliquis. But, other than that, life proceeded as normal. For about a year, until March, 2017. My exercise routine, such as it is, consists of walking 5 miles per day, per my Garmin  -- usually three walks with our dog, Rufus. One March morning during our walk, I experienced shortness of breath. I was not gasping for breath, but just did not feel quite right. I also experienced discomfort in my throat. But more about that later.
I explained the shortness of breath to Paula when Rufus and I got back home. She became concerned because it bothered me enough to mention it to her. So she drove me to the Emergency Room. Had basic heart tests done, and ultrasound for blood clots in my legs.
Conclusion. No heart attack, nor blood clots. It was an A-Fib incident in which my heart rate slowed down much more than normal. We went home with instructions to see the Cardiologist.
On March 9, I had my initial appointment with Cardiologist Dr. G. Reiser, whom Paula has been seeing. Dr. Reiser is a strong believer in “face time” with patients. Many questions about lifestyle. He ordered a “Holter Monitor” for me for 2 days, and an EKG before my next appointment on April 5. Results at that appointment showed I was in “A-Fib” the entire time I wore the monitor. But the EKG showed the heart muscle to be strong. So we proceeded with the fact that my A-Fib was “under control” with medications.
In June and July, I started experiencing a loss of energy. It proved a struggle to walk even just a mile with Rufus. Paula commented that my gait had become a “slow shuffle.” The pain in the throat returned, forcing me to stop and rest during walks, or turn around and head home. Something was wrong.
I returned for a visit to Dr. Reiser on August 2, hoping for answers – and a solution. We tried the holter monitor again the next week, with the same results. And an electrocardiogram (EKG) and stress test. Again, they indicated strong heart muscle. During this visit I mentioned the throat issue to him for the first time.
Truthfully, I never considered the possibility of any correlation between the throat pain and heart issues. I had always heard warnings about chest pains, the sensation of an elephant sitting on your chest, or tingling in the arms, dizziness and fainting. I guess I mentioned it that day in desperation. Dr. Reiser reacted to, and expressed concern, about my revelation, though did not reveal more.
He had referred me to an Electro-Physiologist, who had scheduled 2 more procedures for October 3rd, including cardiac conversion to shock the heart back into a normal rhythm. Dr. Reiser told me to report back to him about the throat pain three weeks after, which I did.
Then things heated up in November. On Wednesday, Nov. 1st, I had an appointment with Dr. Reiser. As soon as I told him I was still experiencing the pain in the throat, he ordered a Cardiac Catherization for Monday, November 6. Dr. Reiser informed the procedure would produce one of three results:
  1. Cath would show the heart is fine, and I will be home Monday night;
  2. Shows minor damage, which he will fix by inserting stents. One night stay at hospital;
  3. More serious damage leading to referral to cardiac surgeon Dr. Z. Abouzelam at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.
The results were returned. I had an appointment with Dr. Abouzelam in Appleton the next day. Paula went along. We met with one of his nurses, Kelsey, and soon had an appointment for open-heart surgery for Monday, November 13, at 5:15 AM. We also met with Erin, a cardiac nurse practitioner. Both of these ladies made us feel comfortable and confident.
Dr. Abouselam then met with us to explain the procedure, most of which I did not understand. He stated that odds of stroke or worse resulting from the procedure were “less than 5%.” Numbers I understand. Those are good odds for me.
We left with the realization that I faced major surgery in less than a week, but with the confidence it would greatly improve my life after the recovery period. Preparations began. An appointment for vein mapping on Wednesday, to determine that I possessed veins in my legs that could be used. St. Elizabeth Hospital held a 2 ½ pre-op session for me Friday morning, with all departments explaining what I could expect.
We had a normal weekend. Watched Grandson Cullen’s hockey on Saturday, followed by a free lunch for me on for Veterans’ Day. Family over for usual Sunday lunch, and watching Cullen and brother Declan take horseback riding lessons later that afternoon.
Monday, November 13th, we report to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital at 5:15 AM. I remember some prep work, but nothing after that. I am told the surgery took 6 hours, longer than expected. My daughter Erica took a picture of me after surgery – not sure I want to see it. Nor do I remember a thing about Tuesday.
Wednesday was a bad day. I did not demonstrate the progress expected. Nurses Amy and Kyle were stuck with me. I had an oxygen tube in my nose, one which wound around my ears. It was uncomfortable, so I kept taking it out. Kyle would chastise me, and replace it. Finally, they had to put large gauze “boxing gloves” on my hands to prevent that.
They quizzed me about where I was, and why. All I could answer was “Appleton.”
They fed me something, which I upchucked onto my hospital gown instead of the container. Amy happened to stick her hand in it.
They advised Paula not to bother making the drive up from Oshkosh that evening. Though Erica and son Brian stopped for a visit. I saw them and acknowledged their presence. But no more.
Thursday. Paula came up at about 9 to check in on me. I was awake, alert, looking almost normal. She was rather surprised after last night’s report. Amy and Kyle were my nurses again. I answered their questions: “I am in St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. I had open-heart surgery on Monday, Npvember13th.” We had a much better day.
And the healing process forged ahead. I had numerous suction drainage tubes and IVs sending various fluids into my body to stabilize vital signs. Any move from bed to recliner to toilet required hooking and unhooking.
This surgery requires a lot of work from patients to enhance the healing process. There are breathing exercises to prevent[HD(J1]  fluids from settling in the lungs inducing pneumonia. Wiggle hands and toes for circulation. Start walking. Cardiac Re-Hab visited my room that morning for the first walk, a few steps out into the hallway and back.
Each day got better. Stable vital signs. Fewer tubes. Walks increasing to multiple laps around the unit. Kelly and Alissa were my walking partners over the weekend, prodding and encouraging. Four walks per day.
Monday, November 20. I can go home.
I must admit my attitude toward post-op prior to surgery was cavalier – I expected to be home on Saturday. But a quote from an Army Officer during the Vietnam War comes to mind: “We had to destroy the village in order to save it.” It seems they nearly had to destroy this 71-year-old body in order to save it. Scars on my chest, both arms and legs. The worst, and only area that provided me any pain, was the right leg. That is where they extracted the veins to place in my heart. The leg was swollen to nearly double normal size with a deep purple bruise running from top to ankle.
As I proceed in recovering, I cannot say enough about the entire staff at St. Elizabeth’s. All top notch and extremely professional. I cannot start to mention them all by name. But I do appreciate them all.
There are 5 exceptional heroes in my story:
First, of course, is the surgeon who performed the operation, Dr. Abouzelam.
Next are his staff members mentioned above, Kelsey and Erin.  Besides welcoming us, they were constantly in the Hospital, communicating between physician and nursing staff, between physician and patient. Acting as cheerleaders and answering any questions I might have. They are my angels, and I will never forget that.
Dr. Reiser for seeing the link with my sore throats. I am not sure what might have happened had he not. I suspect a heart attack. Heredity is not on my side – my father passed away as a result of his fourth heart attack at age 52, when I was only 12.
My SUPER HERO is Paula, whose life was turned upside down. She had a week to accept the fact that I needed the surgery, another week after to figure out how much our life will be changing. She handled it like a trooper. We have been adjusting. Our love, and our marriage, are stronger than ever as we move forward.
Now I am working toward a full recovery. The hope to be able once again to play with our young grandchildren is a great motivator. Paula is looking forward to me being able to mow, rake, and shovel again. Yard work is certainly in the future. But, truthfully, that prospect does not motivate. But, with my repaired heart, I will gladly take the bad with the good.