Kim Massey
Nov 27, 2017
Reach Counseling . . . . . . Greeter: Bill Bracken
Dec 04, 2017
Pearl Harbor . . . . . Greeter: Bob Campbell
Patti Andressen Shew
Dec 11, 2017
8th Grade Essay Contest. . . . . Greeter: Dick Campbell
Dec 18, 2017
Hliday Program . . . . . Greeter: Michael Cooney
Christmas Day
Dec 25, 2017
No Meeting
New Years Day
Jan 01, 2018
No Meeting

Bulletin Subscribe

Subscribe to our eBulletin and stay up to date on the latest news and events.

Club Information


100 Years of Service from March 1, 1917

We meet Mondays at 12:00 PM
Oshkosh Premier Waterfront Hotel
1 N. Main Street
P. O. Box 785 (Club Mailing Address)
Oshkosh, WI  54903-0785
United States
District Site
Venue Map
Oshkosh Rotary Club News
Tom Blaze will greet members and guests, give a reflection and lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
Father Tom Long will present a program on The Meaning of Thanksgiving.
President John Fuller introduced Club member Dick Campbell to give a special Veteran's Day program -- an updated presentation on the USS Indianapolis and her crew.
Dick Campbell
The USS Indianapolis played a key role in ending World War II. On August 2, 1995 a memorial in Indianapolis, IN was placed remembering the USS Indianapolis.
The loss of the USS Indianapolis was the largest single disaster at sea suffered by the US Navy. It was commissioned in November 1932 and was the pride of the Navy with all of the latest technology.
In April 1940, it was stationed in Pearl Harbor but was out at sea on maneuvers when Pearl Harbor was attacked.
On 3/31/1945 in Okinawa Battle, a kamikaze plane damaged one side of ship, which required the ship to limp back to California for repairs at Mare Island.
After repairs, the USS Indianapolis transported atom bomb components, including the “Little Boy” atom bomb, to Tinian Island. This cargo was kept a secret from all crew members. Captain of the ship was Charles McVeigh III.
After off loading its secret cargo, the USS Indianapolis left for Guam and was denied an escort by the Navy. A Japanese submarine aimed torpedoes and fired at the ship. Three SOS signals were sent out and the ship sunk in 12 minutes with a crew of 1,197; 880 members survived – many were burned, maimed, and wounded. There were few preservers and life rafts failed to float free of the ship.
Survivors were left at sea for 5 days and nights, suffering from terror, thirst, despair, and shark attacks. Lt. Wilbur Gwinn on a routine air patrol spotted the survivors after noticing a large oil slick (317 men were left) .
A second plane dropped supplies and then abandoned orders and landed their plane in the sea. They took on 56 survivors and waited for 7 ships to come and rescue the rest of the crew.
On 8/8/17 the Navy finished the search and rescue mission. Only 317 survived out of 1,197 crew members. 91 were buried at sea.
Captain McVeigh III was court martialed and convicted on 12/3/1945.
The commander of the Japanese submarine, Hasimoto, came to the trial as a witness. Many felt McVeigh was a scapegoat to hide the mistakes of others.
50 years later, Hunter Scott, an 11-year old boy, began to research the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. He located survivors and interviewed them. His report came to the attention of NBC news and Congressman Scarburough of Florida. He introduced legislation to urge a pardon for McVeigh in an effort to clear his name. In 2000, President Clinton signed a joint resolution exonerating Captain McVeigh in the loss of the USS Indianpolis.
At the age of 70, in November, 1968, Captain McVeigh committed suicide.
On August 19, 2017 the wreckage of the USS Indianapolis was found on the floor of the Philippine Sea. 
Rotary Stories
Soy Cow Operation Going Strong

This project is the result of a unique partnership led by Southwest Oshkosh Rotary and supported by the Oshkosh
Rotary Club and the LaMolina Vieja Rotary Club in Lima Peru.  This joint project has become a model of international cooperation and effective project management in Peru and is one of the few soy cow projects that have persisted beyond the initial phase.

This operation also produces a by-product of undiscovered fiber called "okara" which is utilized as an ingredient in the production of bread by a government supported bakery.  The protein rich bread is distributed th the needy along with the soymilk.  As a result there is no waste product and the full nutritional value of the soybeans reaches those in need.

Management of the project is very "hands-on" under the leadership of Rotarian Bill Thimke who along with other Rotarians visits Peru several times a year to check on the "cows".   Bill was trained by the cows' manufacturer to assemble and repair the machines and thus often brings new parts and services the cows on these visits.

In 2010 La Molina completed construction of a new building to house both the current machine and a new and much larger ASC50 machine which doubled the production capability and increased production capacity to over 4,000 servings a day.   The $21,000 machine was funded by the two Oshkosh Rotary Clubs.  La Molina has also purchased a new delivery vehicle and has taken over the funding of the beans and other supplies.

A cow installed in 2007 in Ate, Peru continues operation under the Oshkosh Rotary Club sponsorship.  Also in 2010 a new soy cow was installed in the northern Peruvian city of Piata and Rimac in cooperation with the local Rotary Clubs. 
Members work to make our Oshkosh community a better place

to live. In the past years our club has supported the following local projects and programs:

  • EAA housing program to provide housing for visiting Rotarians and their guests during EAA's AirVenture;
  • Staff the Shared Harvest booth, a local Rotary program to obtain farmers' donations of Farm Market excess produce for the Oshkosh Area Community Pantry;
  • Joined with students from our PALS school, South Park Middle School, in a Spring Cleanup of South Park;    
  • Worked concessions, parking lots and entrances at Waterfest;
  • Worked at the "Red Kettle" campaign at holiday time to raise funds for the Salvation Army
  • Conducted an essay contest for students at South Park Middle School, our PALS (Partners at Learning) school, on the applicability of the Rotary Four-Way Test of ethical behavior, with a top prize of $100;  
  • Souper Bowl- collection of canned soups and cash for the Oshkosh Area Community Food Pantry during Super Bowl time 
  • Supported the Oshkosh Area United Way annual campaign and campaign kickoff event.
  • Contributed funds to the Day by Day warming shelter
  • Tubes for Teeth: a toothpaste drive for the Oshkosh area schools Hygiene Fair.  Collected over 500 tubes of toothpaste
  • Donated funds to pay for new Oshkosh Farmers Market signage
  • One program every month is designated to showcase an Oshkosh business
  • Hosted a Murder Mystery dinner on Valentine's Day as a fund raiser for local community projects

What does it mean to be a Rotary member??    This short video says it well - take a look!



Oshkosh Rotary Officers & Directors
President Elect
Sergeant at Arms
Immediate Past President
Vocational Service